I started to remove the back quarter awning rail, unfortunately a couple of the screw heads were well worn and the phillips screwdriver was not shifting them! Only one thing for it, would have to put my new tool to the test.....
|Silverline Multi-function Tool about £18 from good old Ebay!|
So awning rail removed
Most of the screws I removed looked ok, there were just a couple that were really rusted and they came from the middle section near the air vent where the flakes of rot and fluttered to floor inside.
Cleaning the mastic off the van isn't easy work, it takes quite a bit of time using the turps, but I'd made a good start before Lee turned up to start on the inside. Time to tackle the shower room and get the ceiling, back wall and side wall cut and up. As I went off to purchase some more plywood Lee cut the back section and and the ceiling section. I had a bit of a mare because I had an 8ft x 4ft piece cut down to 5ft and tried to get it into the VW Saloon we bought for towing and I was struggling to make it go in when it split in half!! Cracking. Of course important to remember it would have easily fit into our Focus hatchback but that was traded in to get the VW!!
Lee thought I was joking at first, until I showed him the evidence, "oh well, it will have to go in in two pieces, will probably be easier". Onward and upward - we started to glue and staple the panels.
|There is a baton at the bottom holding the bottom of the panel in place until the adhesive sets, this panel will be lined with vinyl paper and painted.|
|Ceiling section was cut, glued, stapled and clamped in place to ensure good adhesion.|
|Attack of the clamps!|
Now for the bottom section. Lee decided to make a ply template for the ply this time as there were so many cuts and angles a paper template just wouldn't do. It wasn't easy but he did it just by using the tape measure....great job!
|Look at that join - perfick|
|Looks very dark, but once lined with vinyl paper will look a lot better. To do this, the ply will be coated with PVA glue first to seal it and the shower room will only be used as toilet and wash basin.|
|These are the wooden braces put in place to ensure a good fix.|
|This is our little folding BBQ that we take camping - great surface area for grilling - one of the best things I have bought my hubby! He loves it!|
Now I will spend the night thinking about how we're going to tackle that aluminium in the fireplace cupboard...
|Can you spot the rivet hole? Might have to put some aluminium support in here....|
Well it's now the morning after and the sun has got his hat on again, so have to make the most of it and get our there and carry on removing and cleaning the awning rails down.
This took some doing, I have cleaned down with turps just need to go over it with methylated spirit now.
|What a difference without the cover on....|
|You can the whole awning rail has been removed|
|For some reason the front window section has been sprayed white - custom caravan!! But you can see where I have cleaned all the mastic off.|
|The back of the caravan cleaned|
|When it's under the cover it looks a lot bigger, looks tiny now!|
|It looks a little patchy in parts, but when cleaned with methylated and resealed it will be getting a good clean with Fenwicks caravan cleaner|
|Vent at the top looks a little wonky because it isn't braced in the wood inside yet|
|Windows resealed a couple of weeks ago but added the bumper strip today...looking ok and don't mind the custom colouring! lol|