I have decided to use black out lining, mainly because I had a large pair of blackout curtains in the airing cupboard from my son's childhood. I spend Sunday evening measuring the curtains and cutting the black out lining exactly the same size.
I then gathered all my tools together with my fabric to start work.
I then laid out my material and put wrong side fabric to wrong side lining.
I then marked a 2.5cm hem allowance around the lining using tailors chalk. As so...
After I had cut out the first curtain I did check that the allowance worked well with the lining to ensure they were the correct width. I put right side to right side and pinned a 2.5cm seam allowance down each side, I then folded it inside out so the curtain fabric was the right way and everything measured up nicely. I may have left the hem allowance a little tight on the side curtains but I can adjust the allowance at the top of the curtains to give me a better hem - so shouldn't be an issue.
|Here you can the lovely terracotta fabric which has an honeycomb effect.|
It took me about an hour and a half to cut all the curtains out. Here they are ready for pinning and sewing.
Now it was onto covering the buttons on the pelmet, this is a fiddly job but one you can do sitting on the couch watching television, which is what I intend to do.