Monday 9 April 2012

Caravan Rebuild - Part 8 1/2

It was time to paper the ply in the van.  First stop shower room.


A few air bubbles - I'm hoping these disappear like they did on the cupboard paper.  The idea is to  paint the back section all one colour with emulsion, so the current bright white won't stand out like a sore thumb.  This will be done throughout the van.  Also there is new joint edging to staple on to give a nice finish where the boards meet.

Once the shower room is painted there is a corner edging to put up which will give a nice clean edge.

Only we could have a feature wall in the shower room!

Silicone sealant will be run down the edge here.
From here I moved onto above the door to finish off...


Again I will point out that the original boards and the newly papered boards will all be painted with emulsion so should blend in nicely.  There will also be an edging strip fitted, the old bit hanging currently will be removed and replaced.
Now the part I was dreading...the front windows!  This proved to be hard work and my  index fingers are killing me as I type - I still believe it was better to paper after the board had been fitted but it certainly wasn't easier!


I had to lever up the window seal to ease the paper underneath it, that's why my fingers are throbbing.
Then the side section, this was the final section to be papered.


There will be corner edging added once painted this will be where the front section meets the side section and then there will be strips put in place to cover the join where two boards meet.  
So my next job is to do the floor delamination, which will need to be sanded after doing.  Due to this I will not be painting the inside of the van until the floor is done and I can sugar soap all the other walls getting rid of grease and dust before painting.


Today we had a wander round Teesside Caravans looking at second hand vans and we came away still liking ours more....good job considering the work we've put into it! 

5 comments:

  1. Great effort! An interesting read. We have recently bought a cheap '91 Swift Challenger and I've spent the last month on and off repairing it. Fortunatly not as much damp as yours, but did discover the walls at the front were not attached to the floor! Also fixed a spongy floor. Looking great now. Good luck!

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post Laurence. Bet that was alarming when you found the walls not attached to the floor!! In part 9 I mention the spongy floor - that was an experience. Have you got pics of your progress?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes was quite alarming! I could get my fingers through the gap. The caravan had been towed by a van previously, and the hard suspension had shaken the poor caravan within an inch of its life! All the screws had been pulled out of the seat frames too, where the body had been wobbling on the chassis. Still, all fixed now.
    Ah yes, just read Part 9. I didn’t manage to take any photos of the floor – I got in too much of a mess! I did mine from underneath as I wanted to keep the carpet. Also, the floor had delaminated some time ago (there was a service report in the paperwork from 2007 which commented on the soft floor), and over time, the insulation between the two layers on ply had been crushed and the floor had sunk probably ¾”. It was a similar process to you though. Grid of 8mm holes over a square meter etc, although I jacked the top layer of ply through 3 of the holes I had drilled, so the floor (top layer of ply) was about level before a squirted the foam resin in. I had read about putting weights on so put 8 bricks on top of a piece of ply to stop the doming effect! 8 bricks was barely enough. Somewhere I had seen someone put a full Aquaroll on top and I thought that would be too much, but having done it, I suspect it was about right! So I spent a few nervous hours walking over it and applying it bit more pressure here and there, but come the morning it was perfect! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving reading your progress, myself and my partner have just bought our first ever caravan, a 1989 450/5SE swift challenger, was going to just tart it up a bit with fablon over the old wood until i came to the rear this morning and discovered that it was rotten :(, so have just started to rip it all out,and am not really confident that we can do as such a good job as you are doing, we dont even know where to start lol, so am reading yours carefully to try and get lots of tips :) thank you so much

    mike and suze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike and Suze, it can seem rather daunting at first, but once you set up your stall and have a plan of action it's quite enjoyable. You can get lots of tips from the UKCampsite message forums for repairs and the Wizard frequents there as well. Good luck - be sure to forward me the link to your blog!!

      Delete